Thursday, April 21, 2011

Insert Your Own Witty David Lynch Reference!

Will I end up having to do massive rewrites to this piece too? Hopefully not. Enjoy!

Previously. . .

We now return. . .

CUT TO:

INT, Juuban High School, Classroom

MAMORU sits in class, taking some rather crude handwritten notes (a result of his old injuries), while a teacher drones on at the front of the classroom. After a moment, his mobile phone starts buzzing. Confused, Mamoru pulls out the phone and examines it-- REI has left a text message.

REI'S MESSAGE

Meet me at the front door. Now!

CUT TO:

INT, Juuban High School, Hallway

MAMORU quietly sneaks out the classroom door and starts walking to the front, keeping an eye out for anyone who might spot him. Then, just as he comes to a junction in the hallway, he sees a school official come out a door further down the hall. Instinctively, he walks down the side hallway. As he walks down the side hall, he peeks over his shoulder to make sure he isn't being followed. He makes his way further down, and then notices something. . . odd, about this hallway. It seems somehow more upscale and modern than the hallway he was walking down earlier, with a massive glass door at its far end, from which Mamoru can just barely make out the outlines of parked cars and motorcycles, seemingly shrouded in darkness. Mamoru slows down apprehensively. After a moment, he hears a binging sound from behind him. Turning around, he sees an elevator in the distance- one that wasn't there before- just as its doors are closing. He's just able to make out a FEMALE FIGURE, whose back is turned to MAMORU. As Mamoru examines the elevator, a CAR suddenly smashes through the glass doorway at the end of the hall, barreling down the hallway at around ninety miles an hour. MAMORU is only just able to turn around before the car SMASHES into him, and we-

CUT TO:

EXT, Cliffside, MOONLIT NIGHT - Continuous

The car- and MAMORU- smash past a barricade and fall a hundred feet down a cliff side, smashing into the rocky seaside below.

CUT TO:

EXT, Seaside Rocks, NIGHT

MAMORU is alive, but pinned underneath a the car. He tries in vain to push the car off. The car then CATCHES FIRE, and Mamoru tries ever more desperately to set himself free. Then, just as it seems he is about to be engulfed in flames, the CAR LIFTS UP just enough for MAMORU to free himself and crawl away from the wreckage. Once MAMORU is far enough away from the heat of the flames, he looks back at the car. The interior is engulfed in flames- he can't make out who was inside, which is probably for the better. Just next to the car, barely illuminated by the flickering flames, he can just make out a vague female figure. The figure walks a bit closer to Mamoru- while we can't make out any of her features, we can tell that she is gigantic- easily twice as tall as six-foot MAMORU. The GIANT WOMAN walks closer to Mamoru- from the shot, the audience will only be able to see her bare legs. MAMORU stares at this GIANT WOMAN for a moment before her hand reaches down and hands him something-- a CORDLESS PHONE.

MAMORU takes the phone and puts it to his ear- the camera slowly tracks until MAMORU is in the foreground and the flaming car and GIANT WOMAN are in the background, out of focus.

MAMORU

Hello. . . Yes, this is he. . . .

(MAMORU reacts to whatever it is he hears on the other end with shock)

But. . . . No, I-I wasn't. . . . She never told me. . . . I mean, I. . . I knew, I had my. . . .

At this point, the unfocuessed image of the GIANT WOMAN appears to catch on fire.

MAMORU

I know she. . . . you think I don't know that?! You think I haven't tried to help?! What do you think I've been doing all this time? You don't have any idea-!

The GIANT WOMAN, still out of focus, is now fully alight, like an effigy. MAMORU then hears something at the other end of the phone that makes him go white.

MAMORU

What did you call me?

MAMORU then turns around to face the WOMAN- but she's gone. The WOMAN, the phone, the car, and the rocks- all gone. MAMORU is surrounded by pitch black. Then, he spots something hovering in front of him- a dully glowing, purple SHARD OF CRYSTAL, what looks like a piece of a much larger jewel. MAMORU admires it, as if he were looking for this his entire life, and has finally found it. MAMORU slowly reaches out for the shard, which grows brighter and brighter as his hand approaches. Brighter and brighter, until-

PRINCIPAL

Chiba-san!

CUT TO:

INT, Juuban High School Hallway

MAMORU snaps awake. He's standing in the middle of the hallway, his hand outstretched. He is surrounded by people, including some teachers, the school PRINCIPAL, and a couple of students, including MOTOKI, who's leaning against a wall, his nose bleeding.

PRINCIPAL

Chiba-san. . . Mamoru. Can you hear me?

MAMORU takes a look around, confused. He spots MOTOKI, cradling his bloody nose.

MAMORU

Motoki?

MOTOKI

(trying to calm Mamoru)

It's alright, Mamoru.

MAMORU

(afraid)

What's happening?

MOTOKI

You just had another fit, but you're alright now.

MAMORU

Another. . .

(looks at MOTOKI'S injury)

Did I-- ?

MOTOKI

It's okay.

MAMORU

Motoki, I'm--

MOTOKI

It's okay. It'll heal. I can show it off to the ladies. You've. . .

(hesitates)

You've done me a favor, buddy.

MAMORU looks on in horror as we-

CUT TO:

INT, Juuban High School, Office

MAMORU and the PRINCIPAL sit in the office. A RECEPTIONIST stands at the door.

RECEPTIONIST

We still haven't reached his guardian. We'll keep trying.

PRINCIPAL

Thank you.

The RECEPTIONIST bows and leaves.

PRINCIPAL

I've been told you had fits like this before.

MAMORU

(distant)

Yeah. . . in junior high. About a year or so after I came out of my coma.

(beat)

What happened? I mean, what was I doing?

PRINCIPAL

I didn't see all of it. From what I've been told, you. . . walked out of class. . . your teacher, and Motoki, spotted you and tried to speak to you, but you wouldn't respond, so Motoki came up and touched your shoulder. . . just to get your attention.

MAMORU

That's when I. . .

The PRINCIPAL nods.

PRINCIPAL

And not just him. You waved your arms around, slammed yourself against a locker, threw yourself against the floor. . . that, I saw. Unfortunately. Then it seemed like you were calming down, but then you started. . . babbling. "You think I don't know. . ." and "What do you think I've been doing. . ." and. . .

(sighs)

Then you stood up, reached out your hand. . . and woke up.

MAMORU is horrified.

PRINCIPAL

Mamoru. . . I can't risk something like this happening again. I'm going to talk to your guardian about suspending you- temporarily. You'll just be on medical leave.

(beat)

I'm also going to recommend that she consider placing you in a special facility--

MAMORU

What?

PRINCIPAL

Chiba-san-!

MAMORU

This happens once, and you're gonna throw me in a psych-!

PRINCIPAL

You've already gotten someone hurt! I can't take the-!

The RECEPTIONIST enters, carrying a CORDLESS PHONE.

RECEPTIONIST

Excuse me?

PRINCIPAL

Yes?

MAMORU

I can't believe this!

RECEPTIONIST

Chiba-san, it's for you.

The RECEPTIONIST holds the phone out for MAMORU. MAMORU stares at the phone. . . somehow, he knows what he's going to hear. Rather than pick up the phone, MAMORU stands up and runs out of the office.

PRINCIPAL

Chiba-san!

To be continued. . .

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page