Saturday, July 17, 2010

I'm Home! (So to speak. . .)

Yesterday, I moved into my new place. It's a guest house, owned by the Sakura House company, located in Tabata neighborhood. Showers, bathrooms, kitchen, and living room are all shared, but I get my own air conditioned bedroom where I can keep all my stuff. Take a look:

As I imagined it would be, it was absolutely horrendous to move my stuff from Asakusabashi to Tabata, esspecially since I had to go to Shinjuku in between in order to sign the lease agreement.

The day started on a weird note. The night before I left, a rather strange man who (I think) could only speak very little Japanese checked in to the hostel. This man decided, on his own, that he and I were friends, and proceeded to pester me all the next morning, from looking over my shoulder to see what I'm doing on my laptop to following me on his bicycle all the way to the damn subway station! At one point, I actually tried to lose him by going into a store (he followed me, of course) and then darting out when he wasn't looking and running into a back alley. He found me, of course, and for the next ten or so minutes he followed me until I reached my station. I was really getting worried that he would try to ride my train, but fortunately he just said goodbye and continued on his way. I'm sure he thought he was trying to be friendly. . . but there was something very strange about him, like he was constanly drunk. I don't know whether he has a mental illness or whether he really was just drunk, but I was glad to be rid of him.

Getting to Shinjuku was alright. . . getting from Shinjuku to Tabata was hell. The station I went to was clearly not designed for people with heavy bags-- or at least, not the part of the station I found myself in. I had to haul my bags down sets of stairs, and then UP sets of stairs, about three separate times. Then, when I finally DID make it to the line I was to take to Tabata, I found that the only escalator I could find took me up to a train that was headed in the complete opposite direction of where I needed to go. By that point, I decided I would take the train anyway-- it was on a loop, so it would take me to Tabata, just in a longer amount of time. I arrived, haulded my stuff though a few blocks to tight streets, and, well, here I am.

Anyway, I've been cooped up here long enough. I need to get out, get something to eat, and see the sights. I have a whole bunch of video of Tokyo Tower and a huge shrine in Asakusa. . . come to think of it, there's a whole bunch of video that I've already uploaded, but haven't put on the blog yet. I'll get right on that!

My trip to Shinjuku (an earlier trip, not the one I took on my way to the guest house):

A trip to the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building:


Naomi said...

What a view! Did it cost an arm and a leg like the stupid fugging CN Tour?

Jeremy K. said...

Actually, it was free. All I had to do was to let a security guard check my bags.

Tokyo Tower, on the other hand, did cost a bit. I'll post video on that little adventure later.

Locations of visitors to this page