Wednesday, May 18, 2011

They Said the F-word in the Manga Too, Y'know.

Last Time. . .

We now continue.

CUT TO:

EXT, Ginza Sidewalk, NIGHT

Close-up on a woman's right hand plam. A slightly wrinkled fingers runs down the lines of the palm.

FORTUNETELLER

Ah! Yes. . . I can see it. This line, here. It indicates wealth.

CUT TO:

A two shot of REI (who, it should be noted, is still wearing her ultra-preppy school uniform) and a rather cheap looking GINZA FORTUNETELLER, maybe in her late fourties. Rei is not impressed.

FORTUNETELLER

Yes. . . Yes. Wealth and good fortune. You're going to be very fortunate in life.

REI

(partonizing)

Ah!

FORTUNETELLER

And romance!

The FORTUNETELLER runs her finger down another one of REI'S lines.

FORTUNETELLER

A single line! That means that true love awaits you!

CUT TO:

The FORTUNETELLER'S POV. We can see MAMORU pretty plainly standing behind REI, near a shop window.

REI

True love. . .

FORTUNETELLER

Yes. This line, here, the one that runs down like this. This line. . .

The sound fades out.

We CUT TO:

INT, Hino Residence

A FLASHBACK. Rei (looking a little bit younger) is standing in front of her father, whose back is turned from the camera. Her father is giving Rei instructions (none of which we can hear), while Rei nods nervously.

CUT TO:

The front door. It opens to reveal a slightly younger looking Mamoru, dressed up for his first date with Rei. He's holding a rose in his hand.

MAMORU

(smiling, enthusiastic)

Good evening!

He bows.

MAMORU

This is for you.

MAMORU hands the rose to REI. We cut to REI'S reaction. She forces a smile, takes the rose, and bows.

CUT TO:

EXT, Park, Day

MAMORU and REI, having their first date in the middle of a park. They both appear to be enjoying themselves, with REI smiling and laughing enthusiastically, to the point of being almost overbearing. Mamoru, however, takes it in stride.

CUT TO:

EXT, Ginza, Night

REI and the FORTUNETELLER.

FORTUNETELLER

Your heart heart line is long, and curves up, like this, see?

REI nods.

FORTUNETELLER

This means you're a romantic at heart.

CUT TO:

INT, Hino Residence

FLASHBACK. REI is forcefully MAKING OUT with MAMORU. REI'S doing all the work-- MAMORU is just sitting there, trying to enjoy himself. Then, REI pulls away. She takes a deep breath (as if to prepare herself for something unpleasant), and then takes off her shirt (she's still wearing a bra, though). After a moment of hesitation, REI starts kissing MAMORU again. Forcefully. MAMORU is no longer enjoying himself.

CUT TO:

The door to Rei's room. MAMORU walks out of the room, bows, and closes the door. Whatever confidence he may have shown earlier is now gone. As he walks away, REI opens the door (still with no shirt on) and watches, confused, as MAMORU leaves.

CUT TO:

Another date. REI and MAMORU are paddling along a pond. Rei forces a smile, but is gradually fades. The two look a slightly uncomfortable, Mamoru esspecially.

CUT TO:

EXT, Ginza, Night

REI and the FORTUNETELLER.

FORTUNETELLER

Romance is something special, particularly for someone like you. There's one man who will come along, one man only. You two will have something unique, something that you need to hold on to.

CUT TO:

Continuous- Mamoru, looking inside the store window. He see a bunch of JEWELS on display.

FORTUNETELLER

Something that will never come again.

We hold on the JEWELS.

MAMORU(V.O.)

So. . . how was it?

CUT TO:

REI and MAMORU walking down the sidewalk, the lights of Ginza illuminating the night sky.

REI

You were there, Mamoru. You heard everything.

MAMORU

Yes. And?

REI

(sighs, then sarcastic)

It was amazing. It was like she knew me my whole session.

MAMORU

Ah. . . .Were you really surprised?

REI

What does that mean?

MAMORU

It means you do. . . that for a living.

REI

No, Mamoru. I do not do that for a living. That. . .

(sighs)

Never mind.

Pause.

MAMORU

So what comes next?

REI

I don't know. You wanted to come out tonight.

MAMORU

My mom wanted me to go out tonight.

REI

I am amazed you can say that without even a hint of shame.

MAMORU

I wasn't asking about the date.

(beat)

What I meant was. . . what are you gonna do next?

(beat)

I mean, you already called the commissioner--

REI

Mamoru--

MAMORU

You called the commissioner of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police in the middle of our dinner. It was gonna come up.

(beat)

So what happens next?

REI

Nothing. It was idiotic. I thought I would get some answers.

MAMORU

To what?

REI

You were there, Mamoru. You heard my half of the conversation.

MAMORU

So you didn't learn anything?

REI

(hesitates)

No. Nothing at all.

Pause.

MAMORU

Man, if I knew you had a line to the police commissioner--

REI

You'd what?

MAMORU stops-- he realizes he's said a little too much.

MAMORU

Uh. . . What I mean is, my mom. . . she hates cops. I just find this whole thing. . . ironic.

REI

Ironic?

MAMORU

Never mind.

Pause. In the distance, two men of middle-eastern descent approach along the sidewalk.

REI

Did your mom. . . see anything?

MAMORU

No. Apparently, she just had heat exhaustion. She was a few blocks away from Big Sight.

We can start to hear the rather loud voices of the two Arabic-looking men. They're BRITISH.

BRIT #1

(speaking English English)

Your map is bollocks, mate.

BRIT #2

(likewise)

Piss off, twat. It's this way.

MAMORU

Why do you ask?

REI doesn't answer. She sees the two men approaching, and has tensed up.

BRIT #1

I'm a twat 'cause your map is shite?

BRIT #2

No, you're a twat regardless. It's this way, mate.

BRIT #1

It's been "this way" the last half hour.

The two men brush by REI and MAMORU.

BRIT #2

Tokyo's a big city, mate.

BRIT #1

You sure we got off at the right station?

BRIT #2

You mean the one with GINZA written all over it? Yeah, somehow I do.

The two men go on. REI looks back at them with contempt.

REI

What is wrong with people?

MAMORU

They were lost.

REI

What? How do you know that?

MAMORU

They said so. Of course, the cheap little map they printed off was a big hint too.

REI

(shakes her head)

You don't think there's anything wrong with that? With everything that's happened? I mean, look at this!

We briefly cut to REI'S POV, and see a group of Japanese girls with dyed blonde hair, laughing and shopping. We then pan to reveal more tourists. Then back to Rei and Mamoru.

MAMORU

I see Ginza, Rei.

REI

And that's the problem, Mamoru. I'm the only one who seems to acknowledge that something is wrong. I. . .

Pause. REI is on edge, and is trying to get herself back together.

REI

I can't expect you to understand. I don't even know if I understand it. It's like. . . something on the tip of my tongue. I've felt it, for months. I've tried to. . . focus on it. Meditate on it. There are times when it seems so close, and just when I think I finally have it. . .

Pause.

REI

Hundreds of people end up in hospital. And I don't even know about it until I see it on the damn train!

Pause.

REI

You can't understand that. You, my teachers, my grampa-- that palmreader back there, she definitely can't underdstand it. My father--

REI has to stop.

MAMORU

Actually, Rei. I think I can understand--

REI

(dismissive)

Fuck you!

REI starts to walk off. Mamoru waits for a minute, and then runs up and stops REI.

MAMORU

Fuck you, Rei.

With that, MAMORU walks off defiantly. After a moment, once he's safely away from Rei, he gives a bemused look, as if asking himself "where the hell did THAT come from?"

Until Next Time. . .

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page