Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No, Makoto Don't Want no Scrubs. A Scrub is a Guy Who Can't Get No Love From She.

Last time. . .

CUT TO:

INT, Subway Car

The car has a few passengers, but isn't terribly crowded. USAGI sits in a chair near the door. A SALARYMAN is asleep next to her. MAKOTO stands over her. She holds her hand up, clenching and unclenching it, and then shaking it. She then looks down at Usagi, who's watching the the passing lights of the tunnel through the windows opposite her seat. She seems tense.

MAKOTO

Are you sure you're okay?

USAGI

(distracted)

What?

MAKOTO

Are you alright?

USAGI

(distant)

Yeah.

MAKOTO takes a nervous look around the car, as if expecting someone to come at her.

MAKOTO

So. . . what were you doing down in Shinjuku, anyway?

USAGI

I . . . I guess I just wanted to see that new department store. I don't know.

MAKOTO takes a quick look around again. USAGI reaches out and grabs part of Makoto's coat, admiring it.

MAKOTO

Well. . . you have impeccable timing.

USAGI

What were you doing there?

MAKOTO looks away briefly, embarrassed.

MAKOTO

Just meeting someone.

USAGI is still looking at the coat.

MAKOTO

Usagi?

USAGI lets go of the coat.

MAKOTO

Are you sure you're all right?

USAGI looks down. This makes Makoto more nervous.

MAKOTO

Usagi. . . I don't know what happened back there. I really don't know how I could've. . . Look, I've dealt with police before.

USAGI looks up, confused at where Makoto is going with this.

MAKOTO

And I've learned it's best to just not get involved with them. Besides, it's finished. The fight was finished. They knew, we knew it. If they got hurt, it was their own damn fault for starting it. There was no need to. . .

MAKOTO trails off. Even she realizes that she's trying more to convince herself of something than to convince Usagi. The two are silent for a moment. Makoto takes another look at her hand when-

USAGI

I helped, right?

MAKOTO

What?

(beat)

Yeah. Of course you did.

USAGI smiles a bit. The train turns a corner, and the SLEEPING MAN fall onto USAGI. She slides away, uncomfortable, but the man keeps falling onto her, somehow managing not to wake up.

MAKOTO

Hey!

MAKOTO reaches over and flicks the man's ear. He wakes up and, begrudgingly, sits back up, closing his eyes. Though the man has gotten off of her, USAGI is still tense.

MAKOTO

You didn't want to come down here, did you?

USAGI shakes her head.

USAGI

I haven't been on a subway in years.

MAKOTO

It's planes I can't stand. I don't care if I have to stay in Japan all my life. I'll never get on a plane.

ANNOUNCER

Tsugi wa. . . Roppongi, Roppongi desu.

MAKOTO

Well, next stop is Azabu-Juuban. We'll be out of here soon enough.

USAGI

Where to then?

Makoto is surprised by that question.

MAKOTO

Home.

USAGI's face whitens.

USAGI

What?

MAKOTO

Yeah, I'm taking you home. Where did you think we were going?

The train comes to a stop. USAGI quickly gets out of her seat and walks out the exit.

MAKOTO

(surprised)

Usagi?

CUT TO:

INT, Subway Platform- Continuous

USAGI walks down the platforms, away from the train. MAKOTO follows.

MAKOTO

Usagi!

USAGI ignores her. MAKOTO catches up and grabs her by the sleeve, turning her around.

MAKOTO

Usagi!

MAKOTO then abruptly lets go, remembering what happened in Shinjuku. USAGI just stands there, eyes fixed on the floor. MAKOTO gently puts her hands on Usagi's shoulders.

MAKOTO

Where were you going?

USAGI

(without looking up)

I don't know.

MAKOTO

You don't know? Look out there, Usagi--!

USAGI looks up. Whatever emotions have been stewing inside of her, they've now brought her to the brink.

USAGI

Look out where, Makoto? Big Sight? The whole city comes to a grinding halt because of Big Sight?! What do I care? What do you care?! Why do I have to be--

USAGI has to stop, before she loses it.

MAKOTO

(sympathetic)

Alright.

USAGI calms down a little. MAKOTO appears to finally have some small idea of what Usagi is going through.

MAKOTO

I won't make you go home.

USAGI

Thanks.

Pause.

MAKOTO

Have you eaten yet?

USAGI shakes her head.

USAGI

I'm not hungry.

MAKOTO

Well. . . come over anyway. I owe you one. Fending off those vile brutes and all.

USAGI hesitates.

MAKOTO

I'll make it easy for you. My place, or yours.

It won't take Usagi long to decide.

CUT TO:

EXT, Subway Exit, Early Evening

USAGI and MAKOTO emerge from the exit and on to the street.

MAKOTO

(pointing up the block)

Okay, my building is a few blocks--

The CELL begins to vibrate- there was a missed call. MAKOTO suddenly remembers whose phone it is, and comes to a halt.

MAKOTO

(under her breath)

God dammit.

MAKOTO pulls out the phone and opens it.

MAKOTO

Goddamn idiot. He'll probably think I stole his damn phone just to get--

Makoto sees the name and number of the person who called, and is appalled.

MAKOTO

Who in the-- who the hell is Mimi Hanyuu?

MAKOTO shakes her head in disgust.

MAKOTO

No. No, I cannot-- come on!

MAKOTO walks down the block, opposite of where she was pointing.

USAGI

Wait, I thought--

MAKOTO

Detour!

To Be Continued. . .

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page