Monday, May 9, 2011

Yes, I HAVE Injected Backroom City Politics into your Escapist Magical Shoujo Fantasy!

Last time. . .

CUT TO:

INT, Tokyo Police Headquarters

A close-up of a photograph of a crystal which looks suspiciously like one of the SHARDS of the crystal from the last scene. We briefly see the words OSA-P on the documents nexts to the photo.

CUT TO:

A close-up of Commissioner WAKAGI, smoking a cigarrette, looking at the documents. After a moment there's a knock on the door.

WAKAGI

What is it?

The door opens and SECRETARY, carrying a CELL PHONE in his hand, peeks inside.

SECRETARY

Sir, I know you asked not to be disturbed, but. . .

Wakagi sees the cell.

SECRETARY

The out-of-office line.

WAKAGI

(exasperated)

Jesus. . .

Wakagi TAKES the phone. The Secretary bows and leaves, closing the door behind him.

WAKAGI

(into phone)

Commissioner Wakagi here. You'd better have a damn good-

We hear a WOMAN'S voice, very formal and polite, from the other end. There appears to be a lot of background noise from her end.

WOMAN(V.O.)

Good evening, Commissioner. I'm calling on behalf of Minister Hino.

WAKAGI

(pause)

No kidding?

(beat)

Of course you're calling on his behalf! That's exactly what this line is- wait, where Kaidou?

WOMAN(V.O.)

Unofrtunately, Mr. Kaidou--

WAKAGI

I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up!

WOMAN(V.O.)

Mr. Kaidou is on temporary leave. . . a marital concern of some sort.

WAKAGI briefly catches a glimpse of a photograph sitting on his desk, featuring himself, Minister Takashi Hino. . . and REI. Upon spotting her in the photo, WAKAGI MARCHES toward the front door.

WOMAN(V.O.)

I've been assigned his duties for the time being.

WOMAN(V.O.)

I'm contacting you- again, on behalf of Minister Hino--

CUT TO:

INT, Reception- Continuous

WAKAGI BURSTS out the door. The SECRETARY stands at attention immediately.

WOMAN(V.O.)

-- regarding the handling of a recent missing person's investi--

WAKAGI

(pointing to Secretary)

You're Fired!

The Secretary is stunned.

WOMAN(V.O.)

Commissioner?! What is the mean--?!

WAKAGI

(into phone)

I hope you're happy Rei. Someone just lost his job thanks to you.

The SECRETARY bows, deeply ashamed, and starts to leave. However, WAKAGI waves at him to sit down.

CUT TO:

INT, Ramen House

REI, sitting in the middle of a very noisy restaurant. She's talking into YUUICHIROU'S PHONE, plugging her other ear with her finger.

WAKAGI(V.O.)

Do you have any idea how profoundly illegal this is?

REI

Making a phone call to a public official?

CUT TO:

INT, Tokyo Police Headquaters

Back to WAKAGI. We'll be cutting back and fourth now between WAKAGI and REI, as needed.

WAKAGI

How about falsely posing as a representative of a Diet Member?

REI

I am a representative of Minister Wakagi.

(beat)

Kind of.

WAKAGI

All right. How about interfering in a police investigation?

REI

What?

WAKAGI

"Concerns about a missing persons investigation?" What else--

(sighs)

Look, I don't know what you think goes on between--

REI

Commissioner. . . someone I know, Sister Jessica Rousel1, has gone missing. I've been trying all afternoon to to get in touch with the investigator in charge of tracking her down. I gave some information to the detective yesterday, but we haven't heard anything from him since.

WAKAGI

(confused, somehow surprised)

"W-we?"

REI

TA Academy. That's the school where she works. She's a teacher.

WAKAGI

Uh. . . W-well, did you?

REI

I'm sorry?

WAKAGI

Get in contact?

REI

Yes, but he brushed me off. Said the department's prioirty was the attack on Big Sight this--

WAKAGI

It not an attack! Nothing's been confirmed. . . wait. Why were you trying to get in contact, exactly?

REI

I had concerns.

WAKAGI

You mean you were curious.

REI

After the atta- after whatever happened at Big Sight? Yes, I was concerned. I think I have the right to be.

WAKAGI

(sighs)

Alright. Out of sheer morbid curiosity. What are your "concerns"?

REI

Has the investigator had a chance to check the scene?

WAKAGI

I wouldn't know, Rei. You'd have to ask the investigator.

REI

I tried that.

(beat)

Commissioner. . . I was there. Yesterday, and then again today.

WAKAGI

Where?

REI

The mansion, where she was last seen. I was there. . . and I wasn't the only one. Some scientific team was. . . tampering with the scene2.

WAKAGI

You mean the Tomoe group?

REI

(surprised)

Yes. You know about this/ What were they doing?

WAKAGI

They've been given near carte blanche for this sort of thing, all over the city. Surveying, research, engineering consultation. It's all part of a new infrastructure development. Was the mansion unoccupied?

REI

Yeah.

WAKAGI

There you go. Probably condemned.

REI

Yeah, and a crime scene!

WAKAGI

We don't know that, Rei.

REI

You know all about this infrastructure project, but not a criminal investigation?

WAKAGI

Rei, I'm the top cop of Tokyo. These are the things I'm supposed to know.

(sighs)

Honestly I'm a little surprised you don't know about it. It is your father's department-- but I guess he wouldn't have told you.

PAUSE.

WAKAGI

Rei?

REI

. . . we don't talk that often.

PAUSE.

WAKAGI

(sighs)

Rei, I'll talk to the detective about your concerns, and ask him to contact you whenever possible. Just don't expect that to be soon. You're already getting more than anyone else would.

REI

(sighs)

Thank you.

WAKAGI

And Rei. . . I suppose, while you're on the line-- since we both know neither of us is ever going to speak of this-- this isn't the first time that someone "representing Minister Hino" has raised concerns about a missing persons investigation.

(pause)

And that's all I have to say. Good night.

WAKAGI hangs up.

INT, Ramen House

REI hangs up her cell. . . not sure of what to make of that conversation. REI looks to her side.

CUT TO:

REI'S POV. A young couple, sickeningly in love. . . cuddling, kissing.

CUT TO:

Close-up of Rei. Disgusted, she turns back to the camera.

REI

Really, Mamoru?

CUT TO:

REI'S POV. We see MAMORU sitting opposite Rei, examining the snuggly lovers before turning back to face Rei.

MAMORU

Sorry. . . I was just curious. I wanted to know what a date looks like.

To Be Continued.

1) In case the name Jessica Rousel somehow sounds familiar to you. . . I went through a whole process of researching the names of similar character before ultimately deciding that, weirdly enough, it DOES make sense to name this nun after Miyuu Sawai's "French TV" co-star. Don't ask me how, though, it's way too convoluted to explain.

2) Remember that? When REI revisited the mansion and found scientists tampering with the scene? No? I guess it must not be until the second draft that that happens.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page